I just purchased a 1TB SimpleSave external U.S.B. Hard drive today and discovered that the drive does not contain 1 terribytes of disk space (as cliamed on the box).

The drive only has 930 Gigabytes which is 70 gigabytes short of 1 terribyte. I checked the capacity of the disk by using the fdisk program. fdisk reports that the drive has a maximum capacity of 930 gigabytes. This makes me very angry!

The product called 'simplesave' is an external hard drive sold by Hewlett-Packard. I purchased mine from CostCo. SimpleSave connects to your computer via a USB2.0 cable. The box contains both English and French languages.

Had an Experience with Hewlett Packard?

Comments

Gotta add to the chorus.This is not a misrepresentation.

The format takes up some of the space, leaving less than listed. Normal. Raising this to a higher level will only make you look silly to a larger number of people.

I'd drop it.Consider it a lesson in computer components.

Formatted capacity is always less than the theoretical capacity of a storage drive. Go buy one from another manufacturer, it will not reflect the full, advertised space. None will.

Also, some of the space is used in formatting. The drive might be 1TB, but the usable space is 930GB.

In the old days the 3 1/2 floppy disks could hold 2MB, but after formatting only held 1.44MB.

Sorry, that is just how it is.

Here is a list of Bits and Bytes

· 1024 Zettabytes = 1 Yottabyte

· 1024 Yottabytes = 1 Brontobyte

· 1024 Brontobytes = 1 Geopbyte

to Com***rTech Cordova, Tennessee, United States #946581

Thanks man. Never seen anything past Yottabyte. Appreciate it.

@DeL337

The right way is 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes. HDD rounds off and goes by 1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes

You will find that this is the same with everything that you buy, SD Cards, hard drives, USB sticks etc.

The problem is not the hard drive, it is Windows misrepresenting the amount of space there is.

Drive manufacturers go by 1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes, whereas Windows goes by 1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes, which is wrong.

What Windows should really show is 930 GiB, not 930 GB.

You do actually have a 1TB hard drive, Windows just shows the wrong units.

Sounds like to me if it was not visable on the package that it only contained 930 gig, then they are in violation of fair trade laws along with consumer fraud laws not to mention false advertisment. Try this out, go to your states AG website and file a complaint on the consumer protection page. Hey you never know, you may just start something that makes things get better for ya.