HP Pavilion DV6T - a lemon travesty from Hewlett Packard
I have a 3 year old HP Pavilion DV6T laptop that is a lemon, and I'm having trouble in my dealings with HP. After many online repair sessions and two trips back to HP failed, I am requesting a replacement but they will only try to repair it yet again.
Without going into all of the details, the computer has had a problem with overheating almost from day one, and as time passes it gets progressively worse such that we cannot watch a video, use Photoshop Elements, or sometimes even scroll through a very long page without the core reaching critical temperature. (I have installed CoreTemp to keep an eye on the core temperature and put it to sleep when it reaches 95 degrees C.)
Luckily, we purchased a 4 year "Care Pack" warranty with the computer. During our first year of ownership, we tried several times to get it fixed by letting HP support remotely fiddle with the machine, updating the BIOS and etc. It is a hardship for us to return it and be without a computer for several weeks, so we limped along for the first year and finally sent it back after one year for repair.
Within a few months the same problem had returned. We again tried remote repair, and again limped along until the summer when we had time to be without the thing. It took much work and many hours on the phone but they finally agreed to repair it again. They promised that THIS TIME they would go over every component and replace everything that might possibly cause the problem, so that it would not recur yet again. (This 2nd time, they again replaced the fan, and this time also the motherboard and the HDD.)
Again it worked OK for a few months (still very hot but not shutting down) and then the same problem returned for a third time. Again I waited till the summer (and until we could obtain a second computer) and have now contacted HP again.
I insisted to the service department that the computer was fundamentally flawed in a way that defied their repair attempts, and that I did not want another repair, but rather a replacement with a roughly comparable refurbished machine. They 'escalated' my complaint to the Case Management department.
The case managers (one plus a "second opinion" form another) refuse to give me a replacement, but only another repair. They also flatly refuse to let me speak to their supervisor or anyone with more authority!
It seems extremely clear to me that this machine is fundamentally flawed - a lemon - and that providing a replacement is the right thing for HP to do. The people at HP who I have spoken to even seem to agree with that; however, the case managers insist that this is not something that they can do, and that the warranty only allows for repair.
I have sent them an excerpt from the warranty which states that HP has the option to repair or replace the computer, but they have not responded to me.
I have always like HP for their reasonable prices, and even after this problem machine, I would still have liked them if they had acted responsibly. But after this experience, I am on a crusade to tell everyone I can never to puchase from HP again!
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Notebook Pc
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I dont even know how to describe my experience I had during weekend. So I'll just explain what happened one by one, and want to ask you what you think..."
- "Whilst looking at Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 notebooks online, the presales chat pops up and the operator, Vennela tells the machine is in stock. I ask about the active stylus..."
- "Laptop advertised in paper ad and on Internet from Walmart for $549. Found out can only order on line. Click on ad and took me to Walmart's site..."
- "I am entering my 8th month on the project and still do not have a completed bathroom. There have been continual mistakes along the way- faucets plumbed wrong, electrical outlet..."
- "I was emailing and talking on comments with this girl @Tifflatowski92 and she convinced me to trade her my louis vuitton favorite pm for her louis vuitton favorite mm and..."
- "When the quote representative/salesperson called, they proceeded to ask questions about my prospective purchase and still refused to give a comparative estimate of various plans! They claimed that I had..."
- "I went to the Dairy Queen in the town where I work and whoever made my ice cream filled it up way too high and admitted when I call them..."
- "I have been a loyal customer to TD Bank for about 5 years. I do alot of business online and always charge my debit card for large purchases. 3 months..."
- "Oh I Tried it alright. Artisan CorporationThe Artisan Experience, Make these highly complex earrings for extra income.Firstly ,I will be astonished if i ever found someone who truly was able..."